Skip to main content

Abiding In My Father's House

The Quill and Me—Devotional Blog•Oswald Chambers Reflections  
Today's Devotional • Back to Home Page

On faded brown parchment, soft and brown font: Abide in Me and I in you.

Aug 7
Today's Reading: My Utmost for His Highest
Luke 2:46, 49
". . . they found Him in the temple . . . . And He said to them, '. . . Did you not know that I must be about My Father's business?' "

Abiding in My Father's House

When His Life Is Your Life


Even as a child Jesus was all about His Father. 

Chambers asks: Is the Son of God living in His Father's house within me?
To dwell in His house means to live in awareness of Him, moment by moment. Living in His house means trusting that every circumstance comes through His hands, even when we don't understand it. 

I don't know about you but this is a new concept I have never considered. Chambers says I must learn to live every moment of my life in my Father's house. Living in the Father's house puts a whole new layer on things.

Psalm 91:1 speaks of dwelling in the secret place of the Most High... it is a spiritual dwelling, a place of continual fellowship and safety in God's presence. That is the same thing Chambers is referring to. And as a child of God living under a parent's roof, I will be protected and provided for, living under God's covering. 

Continual fellowship is prayer; constant communion, like breathing. So, we can still ask for help in times of trouble and for other reasons, but I remember, the Father already knows what we need. And that river of grace... it is still flowing. So really all we need to do is stay in constant fellowship and we won't be turning to Him in times of trouble because we will already be turned. 

Chambers also said that the way Jesus lived and worked among people while he was here on earth must be the way He works and lives in me now. His life must become mine. So the way I move among people, work, my circle of friends, my home life, must all reflect this vital new life of Jesus Christ living in me. 

I have been learning some of this already, but I am 68 and have lived my own way all my life... living a surrendered life is so rewarding but can be so challenging. 

It is because of my relationship with the Son of God that I am experiencing the grace of His life being worked out through me. And it is not me but Him, who has come into my life through the providential will of His Father, that is the reason for the changes. I must let Him have His way with my life to stay in perfect oneness with Him. 

I welcome all the changes, I welcome Him. But I do admit to it being a bit difficult to hide my life within Him. And Him hidden in mine. It is both a revival and a revelation, and my mind struggles to wrap around it. And my research reveals that being in His house means we belong to Him—our life is hidden in Christ. (Colossians 3:3) It is all spiritual and we must walk in the spirit to discern spiritual things and the Lord must open our spiritual eyes for the spiritual to be revealed. 

As I now understand it, Christ is hidden in me, and I am hidden in Him. When others see me, they are seeing me in the physical form, but they need to also be seeing Christ in me by the way I live. Letting Christ shine His light through my life. It is a difficult thing to perceive how this can be. But it is for the Holy Spirit to work it out through me, through my life, I just have to be a willing vessel doing everything in my power to let it happen. Like surrender. And I am, the Holy Spirit is my refuge. 
 
And I will call on Him to rescue me before I drown in a divine purpose of God that I cannot comprehend. He will carry me through this. 

I am willing. I continue to surrender to His will. He will work it out for me, He will work it all into me, and He will work it out through me.The Holy Spirit is the one that will handle this, I just have to be willing and I am. 

The future me will be...
Continually in touch with the reality of God... identifying myself closely with the Lord in ways of holy fellowship and oneness, although it seems I have only just begun to actually learn this. I believe all of this is much deeper than I can perceive. 

Breath Prayer

Lord, living every moment
with You by my side.


Selah,
~ Quil 

Be a part of God's purpose by spreading the word:
The Library is open:  Free Resource Library  

Scripture References

  • Luke 2:46, 49“…Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?”

  • John 14:23“If a man love me… we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

  • Colossians 3:3“Your life is hid with Christ in God.”

  • Romans 8:14“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”

  • Galatians 4:6“God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”

  • Psalm 27:4“One thing have I desired… that I may dwell in the house of the Lord.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 21 — Present

The Quill and Me—Devotional Blog•Oswald Chambers Reflections  Today's Devotional • Back to Home Page April 21 Today's Reading: My Utmost for His Highest  John 14:9  "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip?"  ...He that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Present Philip stood in front of Jesus and still asked to see the Father. Jesus told him that seeing Him was seeing the Father. God was right there, and Philip didn’t recognize Him. We are the same way. God is with us, guiding us, steadying us, revealing Himself in quiet ways — yet we often look for something dramatic. Faith is trusting the God we cannot see, the God who is already here.   Philip wasn't asking out of rebellion.  Philip was asking out of longing — the same longing we feel. But Jesus’ response reveals something deeper:  “Have I been with you so long, and you still don’t know Me?” We want to see God with our eyes, h...

Meaning of Forgiveness

The Quill and Me—Devotional Blog•Oswald Chambers Reflections  Today's Devotional • Back to Home Page November 27 Special Devotional Matthew 18:21–22 "Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?" Jesus saith unto him, "I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." Matthew 18:21–22 (NLT) "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?" "No!" Jesus replied, "seventy times seven!" Luke 23:34 (KJV) "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." The Meaning of Forgiveness and a Prayer Forgiveness Meaning :  What the Bible Teaches About Letting Go Summary Forgiveness is at the center of the gospel — Jesus commands it, models it, and makes it possible through His sacrifice. Because God has forgiven us so completely, we are called to release grudges, let go of past hurts, and forgive others from the heart. Forgiveness doesn't...

Dec 2 — Do Not Worry

The Quill and Me—Devotional Blog•Oswald Chambers Reflections  Today's Devotional • Back to Home Page December 2 Daily Verse & Prayer 1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you ." Do Not Worry Worry has a way of creeping into our hearts, especially when life feels uncertain. Yet this verse reminds us that we are not meant to carry the weight alone. God’s care is not distant — it is personal, tender, and constant. Every detail of our lives matters to Him. When we release our burdens into His hands, we exchange anxiety for peace. It doesn’t mean the challenges disappear, but it does mean we walk through them with courage, knowi ng the Lord is near. Today, let us name our worries and lay them before Him, trusting Him to carry what we cannot. Prayer Father, I lay my worries at Your feet.  Please give me calm for my mind and courage for my work, and remind me -   You hold every detail.  In Jesus' precious, holy name I pray, Amen.  Do N...