The Quill and Me—Devotional Blog•Oswald Chambers Reflections
Today's Devotional • Back to Home Page
Aug 3
Today's Reading: My Utmost for His Highest
Luke 18:31
"He . . . said to them, 'Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem . . .' "
The Unseen Purpose of God
Chambers' Title: The Compelling Purpose of God
"We have not yet understood all there is to know of the compelling purpose of God."
Jesus sought to do the Father's will the entire time He walked on this earth. He was determined to go to Jerusalem. The culmination of His life's purpose was reached in Jerusalem.
When God calls us we have no idea what His purpose is, we just know what the assignment is.
The purpose behind our calling may never be made known to us. For example, I am called to write reflections on Chambers' work as I read My Utmost for His Highest. This book was published in 1927; I bought it in the 1990's; and I am only now, in 2026, receiving its fullness. Chambers' purpose was immeasurable—just imagine the multitudes impacted by this one book. I am one of those purposes.
As I experience this book in my daily life, I share my spiritual growth. But God's full purpose for the messages that I write—I may never know. This book is only a 365 day book, but these devotionals will live on perpetually, accomplishing whatever He intends.
Chambers' message: What we do is simply the scaffolding surrounding His work and His plan.
Breath Prayer
Your call, Your will,
Your purpose
Selah,
~ Quil
Be a part of God's purpose by spreading the word:
Scripture References
Luke 18:31
“Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem…”
John 5:30
“I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father.”
Luke 9:51
“He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem.”
John 15:16
“You did not choose Me, but I chose you…”
Proverbs 19:21
“The Lord’s purpose will prevail.”
Proverbs 16:9
“A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.”
Isaiah 55:8–9
“My thoughts are not your thoughts… My ways higher than your ways.”
Romans 8:28
“All things work together for good to them who are called…”
Ephesians 1:11
“He works all things after the counsel of His own will.”
Philippians 2:13
“It is God who works in you both to will and to do.”
Hebrews 10:7
“I come to do Thy will, O God.”
Psalm 138:8
“The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me.”
•
Comments
Post a Comment